WHAT IS SHOUTcast™ Radio?The SHOUTcastTM Radio Directory is one of the largest directories of professionally and community programmed online radio stations in the world. Today SHOUTcast™ Radio features over 32,000 stations from around the globe. If you're into popular or indie music, or want to check out local or world programming, you're sure to find something you like on SHOUTcast™ Radio.
SHOUTcast™ Radio also provides audio broadcasting software tools for those who want to create a radio station. It permits anyone on the internet to broadcast audio from their computer to listeners across the Internet or any other IP-based network (Office LANs, college campuses, etc...).
You can check out their Terms Of Service here.
HOW DO I PLAY STATIONS IN THE BACKGROUND AND BROWSE THE WEB?
When you play a station feed using "Background Play" Safari and the Quicktime Plug-in are used. Therefore you cannot use Safari to browse the web. On the other hand you can use any other Web browser, uploaded from the App Store. We recommend the use of the free Mercury Web Browser available here.
BACKGROUND PLAY IS NOT WORKING, WHY?
Background Play uses the QuickTime Plug-In for Safari. The Safari Settings must have Plug-Ins turned ON for Background Play to work:
HOW DO I PLAY SHOUTcast™ RADIO STATIONS IN THE BACKGROUND?
Some SHOUTcast™ radio stations will directly invoke the QuickTime player used to play in the background. Some other will bring up the Safari browser with the "SHOUTcast D.N.A.S Status" page. Just click on "Listen" as shown in the picture below and the background player will start with the proper station audio stream.
WHAT DO I DO IF RADIO DOES NOT START PROPERLY AFTER PURCHASE OR UPDATE?In case you are having problems starting the Radio app after purchase or upgrading to the latest release, the most common fix is to perform a "reset" of your iPhone. Alternatively you can re-download the app from iTunes (re-downloads from iTunes are free of charge), and re-install it (i.e. sync your iPhone with iTunes).
To troubleshoot installation and download issues from the iTunes AppStore, please read the following article from the Apple Support pages for the iPhone and iTunes:
HOW DO I FIND A STREAM COMPATIBLE WITH RADIO?
The way to find a Stream URL compatible with Radio is as follows:
- Find the radio station web site (using Google for example);
- Search for links things like "Live stream for WXYZ" or "Listen Online for WXYZ". If a Flash-based player is the only thing found, you are out of luck. You cannot use URLs of online Flash - music players.
- If you find a page with multiple audio streams, select the one listed for "iTunes", "WinAMP", "MP3", "M3U or "PLS". In some cases the page will show the iTunes logo just besides the stream hyperlink.
- Click on the iTunes - Advanced - Open Audio Stream menu item. Make sure that you have installed iTunes. Make sure that the stream or Playlist start playing in iTunes. If it doesn't play, it is not in the correct format supported by Radio.
- Right click on the stream line in iTunes and select "Get Info". if the "Kind" fields lists "MPEG audio stream", the stream is in the correct format to be used by Radio.
- If the Write down the URL listed in the "Where" field, which will look like: "http://cheef.serverroom.us:9750/". This URL is the one that can be entered in the "Streams" dialog in Radio 1.2 (see below "HOW DO I ADD A STREAM TO RADIO").
IMPORTANT NOTE: WMA (Windows Media Audio) and Real Player Audio are *not* valid streams for Radio.
HOW DO I ADD A STREAM TO RADIO?
Once you have the Stream URL of a valid MP3 stream, you can add it to Radio as follows:
- Open the "Streams" dialog in the the Radio app on the iPhone (this selection from left).
- Click the "+" sign.
- Enter the station name (like ist call letters) in the Station Name field.
- Enter the stream URL in the URL field.
- (optional) Enter anything in the Description, like "128K stream" or "my own favorite station".
- Click Save.
- Click the station name in the "Streams" list. If the stream is MP3 compatible, it will start playing.
- Click on the "star" and "Add to Favorites" to add to your Favorites.
WHAT STATIONS ARE INCLUDED IN RADIO?
- The SHOUTcast™ Radio Directory of 35,000+ stations, one of the largest directories of professionally and community programmed online radio stations in the world.
- The 'Radio' list includes all "non-protected" MP3 and AAC stations from Apple iTunes Radio. This excludes all QuickTime, Real Audio, and Windows Media Audio (WMA) streams that cannot be played on an iPhone by 3rd party apps using native codecs.
- The IceCast database includes all MP3 stations from icecast.org.
- European stations from listenlive.eu (MP3 only).
- Australian stations from australianlive.com (MP3 only).
- Weather stations from NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards (NWR).
- National Public Radio stations.
Any valid MP3 or AAC stream (or M3U and PLS playlists) can be added to the database.
AUDIO STOPS PLAYING WHEN THE SCREEN IS LOCKED
Answer: You must be using iPhone OS 2.2 and Radio 1.0. Apple changed the default behavior in OS 2.2 resulting in this new behavior. iPhone OS 2.0 and 2.1 do not exhibit this behavior. The Radio 1.1 free update fixes this issue.
THE PROGRAM CASHES OR FREEZES
Answer: Please e-mail us details of the steps to duplicate this occurrence. If it happens with a particular radio station, please include the Directory - Genre - Station names in your message.
ARE WMA (WINDOWS MEDIA), REAL MEDIA, AAC+ OR OGG STREAMS SUPPORTED?
Answer: No. Currently the iPhone and iPod Touch only support MP3 and AAC streams.
WHAT STREAM FORMATS ARE SUPPORTED?
Answer: MP3 and AAC.
WHAT PLAYLIST FORMATS ARE SUPPORTED?
Answer: PLS, M3U and XSPF.
WILL I NEED TO UPGRADE WHEN NEW DIRECTORIES ARE ADDED TO THE PRODUCT?
Answer: No, the new directories will automatically appear on the startup screen when the application is restarted.
HOW DO I SEND A STATION LINK TO A FRIEND?
Answer: Start playing a stream, then click on the Share button, and then click on "Mail Radio Link to Station". iPhone Mail will start with the embedded link in the message content. Address the e-mail and send. Your friend just needs to open the message with iPhone Mail and click on the link. If he has a copy of Radio for iPhone, it will open and immediately connect and play the stream from the station.